10293 Bloomfield Street • Los Alamitos, CA 90720-2200 Andrew Pulver, Ed.D.
(562) 799-4700 • FAX (562) 799-4730 Superintendent
August 3, 2022
Dear McGaugh Families,
It is with great honor that I welcome you to the 2022-2023 school year!!!! After 30+ years in Los Alamitos Unified, you have no idea how much pleasure it gives me to serve as McGaugh’s principal. I am overjoyed to continue working with the dedicated McGaugh staff, their passion for teaching, their love for our Sea Lions, and their high expectations for all students. Also, I could not be more excited to continue to work with our Sea Lion families, volunteers in PTA, as well as Project SEEK. Finally, I am excited to continue to build connections with our Seal Beach community, Seal Beach Police Department, Chief Philip Gonshak, and the Naval Weapons Station; as I know that the Seal Beach Police Department and our military neighbors are committed to not only providing support for a safe campus and community but also being a strong and visible presence for our staff and students.
It is also with great pleasure that I welcome and introduce McGaugh’s new Assistant Principal, Mr. Rick Larson. Rick started his tenure in Los Alamitos Unified, 10 years ago. He has worked as an Education Specialist, a Teacher on Special Assignment, and he has served as the Assistant Principal at LAE since 2017. Finally, he served as the principal of the elementary LosAl@Home program. In every role, Rick has remained student-focused and driven by his desire to support students, staff and our District community. He is an empathetic leader who embraces and involves stakeholders to create the best school possible for students. He is kind, warm, trustworthy, and supportive of everyone with whom he comes in contact. Rick is a proud father of a third grader at Weaver.
News to Share
I want to share some additional exciting new faces on campus this 2022-2023 school year. Please join me in welcoming and supporting each of them.
- School Psychologist, Jacqueline Celaya, comes to us from St. Vrain Valley School District in Longmont, Colorado. With nearly 9 years of educational experience, we are excited that she is back in California and now a Sea Lion. She earned her Bachelor's degree from UC Riverside and Master's from Chapman University. Jacqueline is moving to Long Beach with her boyfriend and 5-year-old corgi. In her personal time, Jacqueline enjoys spending time with her dog, Bear, who is the center of her world besides her career. She also enjoys spending time with family and friends and playing golf.
- Kayla Cherry is so excited to begin her first year as a School Psychologist in Los Alamitos, sharing her time between McGaugh, Weaver, and Los Alamitos Elementary (LAE), this school year. She graduated in the Spring from California State University, San Bernardino with her Ed.S. and completed her internship in the Laguna Beach Unified School District. Kayla just moved to Cypress from Redlands, where her mom, dad, brother, and family Golden Retriever (Cody) live. She is new to the area and eager to meet many new coworkers who may double as new friends!
- Dr. Arias, a 24-year Los Al veteran, has 27 years teaching experience in grades K-8 at Weaver and Oak. We welcome him as a McGaugh Sea Lion. A lifelong learner, he holds a doctorate as well as a master’s degree in Educational Leadership from Pepperdine University, his K-12 CLAD teaching credential from UCLA, and his bachelor’s degree from USC in Humanities. Sharing his passion of utilizing the Arts and inquiry-based learning, combined with Kaplan’s Depth and Complexity model, he has facilitated workshops on developing rigor in K-12 classrooms, for teachers around the country. He was awarded 2016 Top Teachers of OC and 2017 State Senate recognition for outstanding service to children. Dr. Arias and his spouse enjoy traveling the world, spending two months each year abroad. His Australian Shepherds Athena and Nike fill his life with love.
- Camille Yuson is thrilled to join the Sea Lion Family as an Education Specialist. She comes with five years of teaching experience, teaching students from elementary to middle school. Camille graduated from University of California, Irvine with a bachelor’s degree in Psychology. She also graduated from California State University, Northridge with a master’s degree in Special Education. Growing up with a sister with special needs, Camille became passionate about the world of special education at an early age. In her free time, Camille likes to collect and grow house plants, spend time with her bulldog, Rocky, and spend her time outdoors. A fun fact about Camille is that she completed her first triathlon last October!
- Wellness Counselor Tina Heeren, returns to McGaugh.. Tina served as a counselor at LAHS for the past 20 years as an Academic/Guidance counselor. She graduated from LMU and got her Masters in School Counseling with an emphasis in Marriage and Family therapy from Cal State Hayward. She lives in the Rossmoor community with her husband, a history teacher at LAHS, and her two daughters, a freshman at Oregon State, and a junior at LAHS.
- Naomi Breedlove comes to McGaugh with three years of teaching experience in El Segundo Unified School District. Prior to her time in El Segundo, she worked at Lee Elementary as a reading intervention teacher and McGaugh as a student teacher. She is overjoyed to be a returning Sea Lion. When not teaching, Naomi loves spending time with her husband, daughter, Blake, and dog, Albus. In addition, she loves going to Disneyland, rewatching Marvel movies, and spending time outside.
- Kailyn Weber is so excited to become a part of the McGaugh family. Kailyn graduated from California State University of Long Beach with a bachelor’s degree in Liberal Studies and a concentration in Mathematics. She received her Multiple Subject Teaching Credential with a Supplementary Authorization in Mathematics, as well. Kailyn served as a Reading Lab teacher at Rossmoor Elementary. She grew up in the Los Al district and is thrilled to be teaching at McGaugh this year. Kailyn enjoys traveling and spending time at the lake where she loves to go wake surfing.
Back to School Reminders
- Class List PTA Popsicle Posting
- UTK/K Meet and Greet will be on Friday, August 13, 2021 at 1:00 PM in front of the McGaugh Auditorium.
- Grades 1 - 5 will be posted on Friday, August 13, 2021 at 3:00 PM at the lunch benches.
- First Day of School - Monday, August 15th
- Start Time
- Gates will open at 7:35 AM
- Warning bell rings at 7:50 AM
- Tardy bell rings at 7:55 AM
- 11:00 AM for UTK/Kinder
- 2:20 PM for students in grades 1-5
- Open Gates
- Pool parking lot - drive through drop-off and pick-up
- Front office drive through drop-off and pick-up
- Corner of Marlin and Riviera
- Updated Bell Schedule
- Complete Online Data Confirmation
- If you haven't done so already, please remember to complete your online data confirmation/registration. https://aeriesportal.losal.org/parent/LoginParent.aspx?page=default.aspx
- Breakfast and Lunch
- Breakfast and lunch will continue to be free for all students. Breakfast service begins at 7:35 AM..Click here to manage your child’s account
- Calendar of Important Dates/Information
- Back to School Night for UTK/Kindergarten is Monday, August 15th, at 5:30pm, in the McGaugh Auditorium.
- Back to School Night for 1st - 5th grade is Thursday, September 1st.
- 1st and 2nd grade/5:30-6:10 PM
- ALL GRADES - Short presentation in the McGaugh auditorium 6:15-6:30 PM
- 3rd - 5th grade/6:35-7:15 PM
The staff, Mr. Larson, and I are excited about starting the new school year together and we are confident that we will have another terrific year filled with exciting learning opportunities for our Sea Lions. I look forward to seeing you on the first day of school at the “school by the sea” where all Sea Lions have endless possibilities.